My colleague, Julian Cox (of DKLM solicitors) introduced me to a wonderful restaurant in Shoreditch called The Breakfast Club. It is located behind Hoxton Square, and the White cube gallery. One of their special breakfasts is poached eggs, guacamole and fresh chilli. I found the chillies were a bit too much for me, so I have slightly modified their recipe.
- Use a large knife (be careful!) to chop the vine tomato into to a pulp on a chopping board, then tip into a mixing bowl. Halve and stone the avocados (save a stone as it keeps them fresh if you add it in the mix – remember to take it out before serving) Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh into the bowl with the tomato. Or do what I do and chop each avocado in half and then peel away the rest of the outer layer.
- Tip all the other ingredients into the bowl (apart from the edible flowers), then season with salt and pepper. Them mash it together. Add in the ripped up coriander.
- 1 large ripe vine tomato
- 3 avocados, very ripe
- juice 1 large lime
- handful of coriander (ripped up)
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (and half a red chilli, finely chopped, to be added when the eggs are being cooked);
- Edible flowers as a garnish at the end!
Lightly toast some wholemeal Rye bread, and let some butter melt over the top.
Poach the eggs in a deep pan, with a pinch of salt and also a few drops of vinegar. To get the chilli kick I suggest you add some chopped chilli to the water before you add the eggs.
Add grilled bacon to taste.
Add edible flowers (you can get them from Waitrose) to add some extra colour.
By Philip Henson, Partner and joint head of employment law at DKLM Solicitors. #lawyerswhocook